I
The
useless dawn finds me in a deserted streetcorner; I have outlived the night.
Nights
are proud waves: darkblue topheavy waves laden with all
hues of deep spoil, laden with things
unlikely and desirable.
Nights
have a habit of mysterious gifts and refusals, of things half
given away, half, withheld, of joys
with a dark hemisphere.
Nights act that way, I tell you.
The
surge, that night, left me the customary shreds and odd ends:
some hated friends to chat with, music
for dreams, and the
smoking of bitter ashes. The things my
hungry heart has no
use for.
The big
wave brought you.
Words,
any words, your laughter; and you so lazily and incessantly
beautiful. We talked and you have
forgotten the words.
The shattering
dawn finds me in a deserted street of my city.
Your
profile turned away, the sounds that go to make your name,
the lilt of your laughter: these are
illustrious toys you have
left me.
I
turn them over in the dawn, I lose them, I find them; I tell them
to the few stray stars dogs and the few stray
stars of the dawn.
Your dark
rich life…
I
must get at you, somehow: I put away those illustrious toys you
have left me, I want your hidden look,
your real smile -that
lonely, mocking smile your cool mirror
knows.
II
What can I
hold you with?
I
offer you lean streets, desperate sunsets, the moon of ragged
suburbs.
I
offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked long and long at
the lonely moon.
I
offer you my ancestors, my dead men, the ghosts that living men
have honoured in marble: my father’s father
killed in the
frontier of Buenos Aires, two bullets
through his lungs, bearded
and dead, wrapped by his soldiers in
the hide of a cow;
my mother’s grandfather -just twenty
four- heading a charged of three
hundred men in Peru, now ghosts on
vanished horses.
I
offer you whatever insight my books may hold, whatever
manliness or humour my life.
I offer you
the loyalty of a man who has never been loyal.
I
offer you that kernel of myself that I have saved, somehow -the
central heart that deals not in words,
traffics not with dreams
and is untouched by time, by joy, by
adversities.
I
offer you the memory of yellow rose seen at sunset, years
before you were born.
I
offer you explanations of yourself, theories about yourself,
authentic and surprising news of
yourself.
I
can give you my loneliness, my darkness, the hunger of my heart;
I am trying to bribe you with
uncertainty, with danger, with
defeat.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario